Currently only simulates actual splitting of the cell; not the separation / replication of the chromosomes.
(No interactivity implemented yet).
- Wikipedia / Mitosis
- Wikipedia / Cell Cycle
- YouTube - mitosis 3D animation |Phases of mitosis|cell division
Source code: (View on Github)
Notes / Learnings:
One (sub)challenge I wanted to explore here was mimicking the pinching of the cell membrane to form the two daughter cells. I chose to use a collection of line-segments (
CellMembraneSegment) to form the membrane, which gave me this control.
Unfortunately, I got hung up on creating a natural push/pull aspect of this membrane, and resorted to random movement. Subsequently, there are jagged edges in what should be a smooth curved boundary. I would like to revisit this and use more natural forces to model the membranes movement.
Overall, this felt more like creating a timed animation than simulating a natural process.
- Re-model the movement of the membrane based on natural forces; and allow it contract / grow during Cytokinesis.
- Model the phases of mitosis involving chromosome condensing and movement via the centrosomes.
- Explore what it would look like to model the internal chemical signals that advance the cell through the stages of its life.
- Explore interactivity to engage the user more.